Ohio Catastrophic Injury and Product Liability Lawyer
A degloving injury is one of the most severe, painful and physically deforming injuries that can occur. The injury to the hand is especially challenging as the irreplaceable quality of the hand skin presents challenges to the most skilled surgeons. When combined with severe fractures, a degloving injury may result in amputation. There are generally two mechanism that present with sufficient type of force and materials to cause a degloving injury: (1) vehicle accidents; and (2) industrial accidents.
Joe Lyon is an experienced and highly rated Ohio catastrophic injury and product liability lawyer. His practice has managed successful industrial degloving cases which ensured clients with appropriate, high quality medical care and compensatory damages.
Degloving Injury Definition
Avulsion of the skin from fingers, hand, arm or leg where the exterior skin is removed but the deep fascia and muscles remain intact. The tissue loss is isolated to skin and subcutaneous tissues, but there is no injury to the nuerovascualr bundles, tendons or muscles. The common features of all degloving issues are:
- Preservation of the musculoskeletal unit;
- Preservation of the vascularity of the remnant tissues
- Exposure of the neurovascualr bundles, tendons and muscles.
Complete (Anatomical) or Partial (Physiological)
- Where the skin of the limb has been completely removed, it is referred to as a complete or anatomical degloving.
- Where some portion of the skin continues to cover the anatomical structure, the injury is referred to as a partial or physiological degloving. A partial degloving presents additional complications because the skin may not be violable due to a loss of blood supply.
Most Common Causes of Degloving Injuries
- Vehicle Accidents: Typically, the catastrophic event would involve either a two wheeler tire moving quickly over the outstretched limb or a four wheeler tire moving slowly over the outstretched limb. In either case, the force of the moving tire moving pulls the skin away from the caught limb.
- Industrial Accidents: Conveyor Belts have a rough surface that can catch the skin and pull it away from the bone structure. A roller machine has also been implicated in some incidents though less common.
- Past Physical Pain and Suffering
- Past Mental Pain and Suffering
- Past Lost of Enjoyment of Life
- Past Medical Expenses
- Past Lost Wages
- Future Physical Pain and Suffering
- Future Mental Pain and Suffering
- Future Medical Expenses
- Future Loss of Enjoyment of Life
- Future Lost Wages or Loss of Earning Capacity
- Life Care Plans (home or vehicle improvements)
- Spousal Loss of Consortium (if applicable)
- Parental Loss of Consortium (if applicable)
If you you need help determining the root cause of the degloving injury and/or questions related to the available remedies to improve the quality of life or care, please contact The Lyon Firm at 800.513.2403 to speak with Mr. Lyon directly about the case.
After two hip replacement surgeries, I was informed that one of the prosthesis was the DuPuy Joint and the other was very similar but manufactured by a different company. After several attempts to contact the manufacturer directly to discuss the claim, I was met with bureaucratic red tape that appeared to be insurmountable. I then turned to Joe Lyon of the Lyon Law Firm who immediately cut through the pro I highly recommend Joe if you are faced with the need for this type of litigation.Tim Ross
I met Joe during what was easily one of the worst times of my life. My husband had been in a serious accident and was a quadriplegic following that accident and remained in one medical facility after another until his death nearly four years later. We had contacted an area attorney who told us we absolutely did not have a case. Then we called a Cleveland firm that took the case and brought in Joe. Joe did so much of the work and became just like family to us. I would highly recommend Joe to anyone and be willing to guarantee that he will do anything and everything possible to get satisfactory results. He is extremely dedicated to his clients and very hard working. Mike and I came to think of him like a son, I still do; if it wasn’t for him I don’t believe our case would have been settled the way it was and may have ended up in a courtroom where the results can go any way.Donna Urchak