Ohio Asbestos Trust Fund Lawyer and Mesothelioma Attorney reviewing settlements for mesothelioma victims and plaintiffs nationwide
Most Asbestos Trust Funds were established after the 1970s, when damaging medical evidence began surfacing about the hazards of asbestos exposure. It became clear that asbestos is the primary cause of mesothelioma, and companies were responsible for exposing workers to toxic materials.
Many companies that manufactured asbestos or asbestos products went bankrupt from legal pressure, and set up trusts for victims in bankruptcy settlements.
Over $30 billion was set aside in Asbestos Trust Funds. Victims of asbestos exposure were compensated about $15 billion between 2006 and 2012. Many mesothelioma victims worked in the following industries:
- Power Plants
- Steel Plants
- Paper Mills
- Oil Refining
- Ship Building
- Military Service
- Rubber and Tire
Trust funds were originally established to compensate workers and families with secondary exposure to asbestos. There were so many lawsuits filed that companies were forced to establish a better way to assist past employees for the damage they caused.
Joe Lyon is a highly-rated Ohio Asbestos Trust Fund Lawyer and Mesothelioma Attorney reviewing workplace injury and toxic exposure cases for plaintiffs nationwide.
Ohio Asbestos Trust Fund Lawyer
When victims file a trust fund claim, it is similar to filing a lawsuit. It is prudent to hire experienced counsel to ensure the procedure is streamlined and compensation is maximized.
Victims must show proof of having an asbestos-related illness and evidence the illness was caused by exposure to asbestos from a company’s product or workplace. Hiring an asbestos trust fund lawyer will help you file your trust fund claim against one or more companies responsible.
Sometime trust funds require plaintiffs to provide their medical records and proof of work history to file a claim. Eligibility requirements for claimants differ for each asbestos trust fund. It is best to work with a lawyer and legal experts in order to gather all available evidence so an asbestos claim is approved.
An asbestos trust fund lawyer can advise plaintiffs on the best type of submission would be in each particular exposure injury case. Asbestos victims who file a claim with the assistance of a lawyer can expect to receive compensation within 3 to 6 months.
There is no safe level of asbestos exposure. Any acute or long-term exposure to asbestos materials can result in serious respiratory illness and cancers. Plaintiffs nay have a claim against former employers if they have been diagnosed with the following:
Ohio Asbestos Exposure
While many studies stress that long-term, regular exposure to asbestos can pose the greatest threat to employees, medical evidence indicates that even brief exposure to asbestos can cause fatal illnesses like lung cancer, asbestosis and mesothelioma. The International Agency for Research on Cancer has concluded there is no safe level of human exposure.
When asbestos fibers break down, they can be inhaled and cause inflammation and scarring of the lungs, and further cause deadly cancers such as mesothelioma.
The U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warns that a wealth of research shows a “clear” and “strong link” between asbestos exposure and serious health issues like respiratory cancers. The agency notes that the longer a person is exposed in an unsafe workplace, the more hazardous their situation may be.
For most of the 20th century, American companies manufactured and sold asbestos-containing products for various uses and industries. Asbestos was used in construction, auto parts, industrial plants, shipyards, schools, hospitals, and other industries, creating a widespread occupational health hazard.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), an estimated 125 million people are exposed to asbestos in the workplace worldwide.
Asbestos has been classified as a known cancer-causing agent by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Evidence over the years has revealed that numerous companies involved in manufacturing and selling asbestos-containing products knew about potentially deadly risks of exposure. Attorneys in Ohio representing victims and families claim unscrupulous companies and employers concealed available health information from workers and consumers.
Although heavy asbestos use is now rare, it is not yet banned in the United States. Products today can be legally made with asbestos as long as it accounts for less than 1 percent of the product. According to the EPA, limited amounts of asbestos remain in the following products:
- Cement corrugated sheet
- Cement flat sheet
- Pipeline wrap
- Roofing felt
- Vinyl floor tile
- Cement shingle
- Cement pipe
- Automatic transmission components
- Clutch facings
- Friction materials
- Disk brake pads
- Drum brake linings
- Brake blocks
- Non-roofing coatings
- Roof coatings
Ohio Asbestos Trust Funds
Companies with established asbestos trust funds include:
- ABB Lummus Global Inc. 524(g) Asbestos PI Trust
- APG Asbestos Trust
- API, Inc. Asbestos Settlement Trust
- Armstrong World Industries Asbestos Trust
- ARTRA Asbestos Trust
- ASARCO Asbestos Personal Injury Settlement Trust
- Babcock & Wilcox Asbestos Trust
- Bondex Trust
- Burns and Roe Personal Injury Settlement Trust
- E. Thurston & Sons Asbestos Trust
- Celotex Asbestos Settlement Trust
- Combustion Engineering 524(g) Asbestos PI Trust
- Congoleum Plan Trust
- DII Industries, LLC Asbestos PI Trust
- Eagle-Picher Industries, Inc. Personal Injury Settlement Trust
- Federal Mogul Asbestos Personal Injury Trust—Turner & Newall Subfund
- Flintkote Asbestos Trust
- G-I Holdings Inc. Asbestos Personal Injury Settlement Trust
- K. Porter Asbestos Trust
- J.T. Thorpe Company Successor Trust
- J.T. Thorpe Settlement Trust
- Kaiser Asbestos Personal Injury Trust
- Keene Creditors Trust
- Leslie Controls, Inc. Asbestos Personal Injury Trust
- Manville Trust
- Metex Asbestos PI Trust
- General Motors Corporation Asbestos PI Trust
- National Gypsum Co. (NGC) Bodily Injury Trust
- North American Refractories Company (NARCO) Asbestos Personal Injury Settlement Trust
- Owens Corning Fibreboard Asbestos Personal Injury Trust
- Pittsburgh Corning Corporation Asbestos Personal Injury Settlement Trust
- Plibrico Asbestos Trust
- Porter Hayden Bodily Injury Trust
- Raytech Trust
- Shook & Fletcher Asbestos Settlement Trust
- Swan Asbestos and Silica Settlement Trust
- T H Agriculture & Nutrition, L.L.C. Asbestos Personal Injury Trust
- United Gilsonite Laboratories Asbestos Personal Injury Trust
- UNR Asbestos-Disease Claims Trust
- United States Mineral Products Company Personal Injury Asbestos Trust
- United States Gypsum Asbestos Personal Injury Settlement Trust
- Western Asbestos Settlement Trust
- WRG Asbestos PI Trust
- Yarway Asbestos Personal Injury Trust
If you or a loved one suffered an asbestos-related illness, and have questions about the legal remedies available to improve quality of life and medical care, contact The Lyon Firm at (800) 513-2403. You will speak directly with Mr. Lyon, an Ohio Asbestos Trust Fund Lawyer, and he will help you answer these critical questions.