Laurel Health Care Centers Targeted in Recent Lawsuits
Laurel Health Care Company, founded in Westerville, Ohio, is a national provider of skilled nursing, rehabilitation, and long-term assisted living services. Laurels operates numerous Ohio nursing homes, and while their aim is uphold the highest standards of care and nursing, some patients may be neglected due to issues that have been a concern for nursing homes around the country: understaffing, underqualified staff, overmedicating, and mismanagement.
The Laurels prides itself on providing excellent medical services and treating each guest with dignity, respect and compassion. However, recent complaints have shown that not every patient receives a basic level of care and may suffer injuries and a preventable death. If a nursing home is responsible for injuries and deaths resulting from abuse or neglect, they can be held liable in Ohio courts.
Joe Lyon is a highly-rated Ohio personal injury attorney with experience in injuries and deaths due to nursing home neglect and abuse. Mr. Lyon has represented plaintiffs nationwide in a wide variety of medical negligence, wrongful death and injury claims.
Common Factors Linked to Nursing Home Injuries & Deaths
- Failure to prevent bedsores
- Hiring underqualified staff
- Failure to prevent fall injuries
- Failure to properly supervise residents
- Failure to promptly treat infections
- Medication errors and overdoses
- Patients left unattended and leaving facility
- Other types of neglect and abuse
Common Injuries Caused by Nursing Home Neglect
- Bed sores & decubitus ulcers
- Bone Fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Bleeding and Bruising
- Infections—urinary tract infections and respiratory infections
- Overmedicated related conditions
- Other slip and fall injuries
Recent Nursing Home Incidents & Lawsuits
- In March, 2017 a wrongful death lawsuit was filed in Ohio against The Laurels of Athens. Attorneys for the family claimed the nursing home resident did not receive appropriate care and subsequently died.
- In Kentucky, an elderly woman escaped from a nursing home and died from exposure in January, 2017. Dorothy McKnight was a resident of Laurel Village. A lawsuit was filed, claiming staff at the nursing home were negligent in supervising the woman and that Laurel Village failed to “adequately assess, assist, care for, supervise and monitor” the resident’s activities. The facility did not follow its own policies and failed to provide adequate staff and adequately trained staff.
- Two California lawsuits have been filed against Brius Healthcare Services, which claim understaffing at two nursing homes led to the deaths of two patients, who developed severe ulcers.
- In an Illinois assisted care home, an 87-year-old resident was placed in a boiling hot bath, leading to severe burns. The resident received an injury settlement of $1.5 million.
- In a health care facility in Virginia, the staff members failed to properly monitor a mentally impaired resident, leading to the death of the resident. The family received an abuse settlement of $1.5 million.
Laurel Health Care Center Locations in Ohio
- Laurel Health Care Company—Westerville, OH,
- Laurels of Worthington—Worthington, OH, USA
- The Laurels of Canton—Canton, OH
- Laurels of Massillon—Massillon, OH
- The Laurels of Steubenville—Steubenville, OH
- The Laurels of Toledo—Toledo, OH
- The Laurels of Athens—Athens, OH
- Laurels of Shane Hill—Rockford, OH
- Laurels of Hillsboro—Hillsboro, OH
- The Laurels of Mt. Vernon—Mt. Vernon, OH
- The Laurels of West Carrollton—West Carrollton, OH
- The Laurels of Defiance—Defiance, OH
- The Laurels of Huber Heights—Dayton, OH
- The Laurels of Blanchester—Blanchester, OH
- The Laurels of Hilliard—Hilliard, OH
- Laurels of Norworth—Worthington, OH
- Laurels of Chagrin Falls—Chagrin Falls, OH
- Laurel Lake Retirement Community—Hudson, OH
- The Laurels of New London—New London, OH
Legal Action—Compensation for Victims of Nursing Home Neglect
Following an injury or death of a family member at a nursing home, it is critical to properly collect evidence and medical records to build a successful case. It is necessary to prove that a nursing facility failed to properly care for a resident and that their negligence caused the injury.
The Lyon Firm can obtain nursing home records, hire medical experts, and interview facility staff in the investigation. Nursing home negligence claims can recover compensation for pain and suffering, disability, medical expenses, and other damages, which may result in significant settlements.
If a loved one has suffered from an injury at a Laurels nursing home, and have questions about the legal remedies available to improve quality of life and medical care in Ohio, contact The Lyon Firm at (800) 513-2403. You will speak directly with Mr. Lyon, and he will help you answer these critical questions.