Ohio Product Liability Attorney
A Practice Founded on Compassionate Consumer Advocacy
The Lyon Firm is proud to serve individuals and small businesses in Cincinnati, the State of Ohio, the Commonwealth of Kentucky and, when permitted, national clients. Founded on the principles of protecting consumers and public health through civil action, Joe Lyon opened the Lyon Firm in the fall of 2006 focusing his practice on helping individuals in the areas of product liability, pharmaceutical and medical device litigation, medical malpractice, and general personal injury. Joe has now expanded his practice to assist small companies and individuals in commercial business disputes, consumer class actions, as well as Veterans suffering PTSD, and toxic exposure injuries.
Joe is rated a 10/10 by AVVO and has been selected as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer in Ohio by The National Trial Lawyer Association. Furthermore, his peers have selected him as a “Rising Star” in Ohio Super Lawyers in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. In 12 years of practice, Joe has resolved numerous cases for seven and six figure settlements, and has represented over a thousand national clients in mass tort litigation. Joe has published and lectured locally and nationally on a variety of personal injury and mass tort issues. Most recently, he has lectured in Columbus to the New Lawyers Program and in San Diego, Louisville, and Baltimore American Association for Justice events on Testosterone Replacement Therapy Litigation (“TRT”). He is serving as the co-chair for the AAJ TRT Litigation Group. Joe is also the past chair for the Ohio Association for Justice Product Liability Section.
MASS TORT ATTORNEY EXPERIENCE
The Lyon Firm has represented or is currently representing individuals in the following cases:
State Consolidated Actions
Multi-District Federal Litigation
MDL 1598 In Re: Ephedra Products Liability Litigation
MDL 1928 In Re: Trasylol Products Liability Litigation
MDL 1785 In Re: Bausch & Lomb Inc. Contact Lens Solution Products Liability
MDL 2226 In Re: Darvocet, Darvon, and Propoxyphene Products Liability Litigation
COMMON BENEFIT WORK
The Lyon Firm has worked or is working alongside Plaintiff’s Steering Committee in the following cases:
MDL 2545 In Re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Products Liability Litigation; Currently, Mr. Lyon is a member of Plaintiffs’ Discovery Committee and assisting in document review and depositions preparation of key marketing witnesses.
MDL 2327 In Re: Ethicon, Inc. Pelvic Repair Systems Products Liability Litigation: Currently The Lyon Firm is assisting PSC in document review and coding for deposition and trial preparation.
MDL 1598 In Re: Ephedra Products Liability Litigation: Performed document review; assisted in 30(b)(6) depositions of Defendant GNC; assisted in preparing bellwether case for trial.
Joe Lyon in the News
NBC / Associated Press: Interview with Mr. Lyon Featured in Investigative Report on Stolen Body Part Scandal.
Cincinnati Enquirer: Mr. Lyon Featured as Council in Industrial Lead Paint Case.
Lawyers & Settlements News: Mr. Lyon Interviewed on behalf of Testosterone Gel Patients.
POSITIVE CHANGES THROUGH LITIGATION
The Lyon Firm is committed to the local and national community and has witnessed positive changes resulting from its prior and current cases. Joe takes tremendous pride in the ability to represent individuals, working for them, to create a safer and more secure health care system and safer products for the future.
For example, dangerous drugs such as Vioxx and Trasylol have been removed from the market. Toyota has agreed to change parts of its manufacturing process to ensure better quality in its vehicles. Lap Belts are no longer allowed to be placed into center seats. Landlords are abating lead in housing projects. Medical standards of care are improving across the board. These improvement are a testament to the positive impact of civil litigation in this county.
Chicago-Kent College of Law , Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL, J.D. January 2003.
Federal Judicial Externship: United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Judge William Hibbler; (January 2001-September 2001).
Law Review: Member of Chicago-Kent Journal of International and Comparative Law
Loyola University, Baltimore MD, B.A. in Political Science 1999
Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven, Belgium September, 1997-June 1998
St. Louis University, Madrid, Spain September 1998-December 1998.
Admissions to Practice Law
- The Supreme Court of Ohio 2003
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio 2005
- The Supreme Court of Kentucky 2011
- United States District Court of Colorado 2011
- United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims 2012
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio 2013
- United States District Court for Eastern District of Kentucky 2014
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois 2014
Publications & Presentations
- “The Wheels of Justice”: Mass Torts in State Court. Ohio Association for Justice Product Liability Section Newsletter (2015)
- Ethics of Mass Tort Marketing, AAJ Summer Convention (2014)
- Case Selection and Criteria for Testosterone Replacement Therapy, AAJ Summer Convention (2014)
- Low T: The Creation of a Disease: A Medical Literature Survey. Ohio Association for Justice Product Liability Section Newsletter (2014)
- Specific Causation for Testosterone Replacement Therapy, AAJ JPML Mass Tort Update (2014)
- Causes of Action for Testosterone Replacement Therapy, AAJ Seminar (2014)
- Parallel Claims & Reporting Requirements: New Motivation for Drug Manufacturers to Give Adequate Warning. Ohio Association for Justice Product Liability Section Newsletter (2013)
- Where to Begin Your Search for the Smoking Gun: Organizing Your Strategy and Informal Discovery. National Business Institute (2010)
- Written Discovery Strategies. National Business Institute (2010)
- A Separate Piece in Seeking Justice: Civil Themes and Skills in Public Defense. AAJ, Criminal Law Section, Vol. 16, No.2 Winter (2009)
- The Weight of Expert Testimony. National Business Institute (2009)
- Punitive Damages: Current Trends and Strategies. National Business Institute (2009)
- Jury Selection: Your First Trial. Northern Kentucky College of Law (2009)
- Utilizing ATLA Resources for Law Students. University of Cincinnati College of Law (2003)
Michael joined The Lyon Firm as an Associate Attorney in February, 2017. Michael graduated with honors from the University of Cincinnati College of Law in 1992, and he is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Ohio.
Michael has a diverse legal and academic background. Michael began his career working on MDL 926 – the Breast Implant Litigation, one of the early large multidistrict litigations. Afterwards, he branched out into academia, obtaining a Masters in Political Science from Syracuse University and working as a professor at Northern Kentucky University, teaching in the areas of international relations and legal research and writing. He then worked for LexisNexis as a legal editor and supervising editor for several years. He has since worked in general practice firms in the greater Cincinnati area and an employment law firm in Los Angeles.
Michael is well-versed in the legal practice of large scale litigation in the form of class actions and multidistrict litigations, as well as individual plaintiff litigation. While in Los Angeles, he worked on cases that led to seven and eight-figure settlements for plaintiffs in wage and hour class actions involving restaurant workers and truck drivers.
Since joining the Lyon Firm, Michael has worked on the Testosterone Gel Multidistrict Litigation, the Abilify Multidistrict Litigation, and individual actions for wrongful death, medical malpractice and toxic torts, among others.
Zachary J. Lyon graduated from The Ohio State University’s Moritz College of Law in 2013. He began his career as an associate trial attorney at the law firm of Arnold Todaro & Welch, a small litigation based firm in Columbus, OH. During his first five years of practice, he focused on handling cases involving medical malpractice ranging from birth trauma cases to matters involving emergency physicians. Due to his extensive experience in the field of medical malpractice, he possesses vast knowledge in the areas of anatomy, biology, and physiology. He has achieved a reputation for providing compassionate and successful representation to his clients, trying numerous jury trials to verdict. Zachary is committed to achieving the best possible results for his clients.
The Ohio State University, J.D., 2013
The Ohio State University, B.A., 2009 (English, Magna Cum Laude)
Admissions and Certifications
State of Ohio, 2013
S.D. Ohio 2014
Memberships and Affiliations
Ohio State Bar Association
Columbus Bar Association